Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flobots- Survival Story


Jonny 5 & company are back on it with the release of the Flobots sophomore album, Survival Story. These alternative rock/indie-hip-hoppers made a name for themselves in 2008 with the release of their first album, Fight With Tools, and the breakout single "Handlebars". Most people I've talked to about the Flobots were not too impressed with them past a couple songs from their album... Well I loved them.  From their aggressive political stances to their edgy cross-genre sound, their first album was a breath of fresh air into the indie rap genre (at least the limited indie rappers I knew about at the time, mainly the Blue Scholars who bored me). The second time around they've got a Beastie Boy producing their album, and a Rise Against feature on the album's lead single (a single I was very underwhelmed by, but it's growing on me... sort of). Overall, I didn't find the album to be as strong as the first, although more play time might change my opinion. However, the album still has a few strong standouts. If you were a fan of the first album, definitely check out Survival Story.

Here are two of my favorites from the album:

No comments:

Post a Comment